With rural charm and stunning vineyards, the Wairarapa region is a series of small towns about an hour north of Wellington. Our network covers the central and southern parts of the district from south of Eketahuna to Cape Palliser, the southernmost point of the North Island. The bush clad Tararua Ranges run along the western boundary of our network, which spreads across flat plains where the urban centres are located, to a rugged coast on the east.
During the year, our Powerco team has been implementing our asset plan for the wider Wairarapa and Tararua region. We’ve been improving the condition and quality of our assets through targeted overhead and underground lines construction.
These projects spread from the south coast Western Lake, to the east coast reaching up to Akitio and inland to the Tararua mountain range. Communities and towns include Featherston, Martinborough, Greytown, Carterton, Masterton, Eketahuna, Pahiatua and Pongaroa.
Our engineering horsepower has been ramped up with a raft of technology, from protection to new regulators and reclosers. The rural environment’s topography and diverse seasonal weather conditions can make this even more of a challenge, but as always, we are up for it!
We have been actively engaged in Wairarapa community events, including the Golden Shears in Masterton. Powerco has proudly continued to sponsor the Riversdale Surf Life Saving Club to run its first aid courses for lifeguards. We know this has a far-reaching impact for the Wairarapa community.
Network projects completed
- South Featherston 11kV line reconstruction
- Tararua, Hukanui 11kV line reconstruction
- Kumenga 11kV line reconstruction
- Masterton, Chapel Norfolk 33kV line reconstruction
- Masterton, Te Ore Ore substation circuit breaker replacement
- Featherston, Revans Street Cross Creek 11kV reconductoring
- Masterton, Blairlogie Riversdale 11kV feeder reconstruction
- Greytown, upgrade to power poles, crossarms and rewiring of lines.
- Featherston, new substation transformer
- Masterton, Chapel Norfolk 33kV reconstruction
- Awatoitoi Tinui 33kV cross arm renewal
- Masterton 33kV cable upgrade at Chapel substation
- Featherston, Revans Street Mangaroa Western Lake reconductoring
- Riversdale Surf Club sponsorship
- Golden Shears sponsorship
- Council engagements and Transit NZ engagement to support delivery of projects
- Aorangi Undulator run sponsorship
get in touch
We like to get feedback from our customers so please share your thoughts.