This network area is beautiful and challenging. Often sparsely populated and remote, it covers the rugged and steep forested coastal peninsula of Coromandel to the plains and rolling country of eastern and southern Waikato, as far south as Kinleith.
This land is important to our farming and tourism customers, and reliable power supply is crucial. Maintaining power on feeders in difficult-to-access terrain is tough. Our investment priorities aim to improve your network security and resilience, and develop better remote control and monitoring facilities.
In South Waikato, we are building a new connection to the national grid and, as part of this, we’ve been upgrading and future-proofing the Putaruru substation. We are in the planning phase to build a new circuit from the Arapuni power station to our Putaruru substation.
This will benefit about 11,500 properties in Putaruru, Tirau and Matamata currently supplied by a single line from Transpower’s Hinuera substation. We’re keen to get this done as we know it will make a real difference for these customers.
We completed our project in Matamata, to link the two existing substations with an underground cable and replace the old Tower Road substation building. Locals now have a better power supply while maintaining the aesthetics of their town.
In Whangamata, our innovative Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) is now fully operational. This exciting new technology is a long-awaited practical solution to support the community.
Network projects completed
- Battery Energy Storage System installed in Whangamata
- Putaruru substation upgrade
- Putaruru – Tirau new 33kV underground cable link
- Matamata network upgrade and Tower Road substation rebuild
- Maungatautari 11kV line upgrade
- Morrinsville, Cussen Road pole and conductor renewal
- Kereone – Walton 33kV cable link and substation work
- Piako – Morrinsville 33kV underground cable link
- Matamata, Tower Road – Browne Street cable link
- Kopu – Tairua 66kV subtransmission upgrade
- Kopu – Kauaeranga 66kV conductor upgrade
- Kaimarama – Whitianga subtransmission enhancement
- Whenuakite zone substation upgrade
- Matarangi zone substation upgrade
- Thames skatepark and sports hall sponsorship
- Communicating with our Maungatautari customers
- Transpower outage collaborative approach
- Customer focus group and Annual Delivery Report Roadshow
get in touch
We like to get feedback from our customers so please share your thoughts.