The Taranaki region is Powerco’s heartland. Our network covers the northern and central area, with Hawera to Warea defining the southern limits. We supply the urban centres of New Plymouth and Hawera, along with large intensive dairy farming and oil and gas exploration sites.
The local terrain and climate are generally pretty good for our network assets in terms of construction, access, maintenance and life expectancy. There are exceptions, of course. In coastal areas, corrosion can affect assets as far as 20km inland. Severe weather events such as storms and localised tornadoes can also have a big impact on our network.
Due to its advancing years and the declining health of many overhead lines, our Taranaki network needs some extra love, in the form of extensive asset renewal work.
Our customers in rural Taranaki will have seen the beginning of our network upgrade work between Inglewood and Midhirst from 6.6kV to 11kV. In October, we replaced the 85 poles on York Road, and the remainder of the project will be spread over the coming years.
Our team has worked hard to power up New Plymouth’s new underground cable link between the Carrington Street and Moturoa substations. The $16m project was completed in December and involved 7km of cable laying, building a new substation at Moturoa and upgrading the Carrington Street substation.
It was great to give back to the Taranaki community over the holiday period and support two free events, Christmas at the Bowl and the TSB Festival of Lights.
Network projects completed
- Carrington Street GXP to Moturoa substation 33kV cable link
- Pihama feeder reconstruction
- 33kV reconstruction of conductor and crossarms between Ngariki and Pungarehu substations
- Supply upgrades to Bell Block industrial and urban areas
- Undergrounding and upgrading Strathmore feeder
- Moturoa substation transformer renewal
- Palmer Road crossarm replacement
- Livingston substation 33kV upgrade
- Inglewood conductor upgrade and reconstruction
- Waitara west protection systems upgrade
- Douglas 33kV reconstruction
- Empowering Whangamomona
- Christmas at the Bowl and TSB Festival of Lights sponsorship
- Customer focus group and ADR Roadshow
- Venture Taranaki – Ideas Summit
- Federated Farmers engagement
get in touch
We like to get feedback from our customers so please share your thoughts.