Our Manawatu network is unique and diverse, spanning both urban and rural areas. It is dominated by Palmerston North city but also includes the rural network from Apiti in the north, down to Sanson in the west and over the Tararua ranges to Eketahuna and the east coast.
The network across Manawatu is aging, particularly in terms of its overhead lines. Our team is actively planning for extensive asset renewal work in this region.
The Palmerston North CBD is the second-largest central business district that Powerco serves, and our largest exclusively underground network.
We’ve been working on five major projects for the Palmerston North community. These are focused on expanding and renewing our network assets, to ensure our customers have continued security of power supply.
This year we continued our involvement with the New Zealand Rural Games, a great event that attracts competitors from across the country. Powerco was also delighted to support the important educational work of the Central Energy Trust Wildbase Recovery Centre in Palmerston North.
Network projects completed
- New substation at Ferguson Street
- Ferguson substation installation of a second transformer
- Linton substation new indoor 33kV switchroom
- Two new underground circuits from Linton substation to the new Ferguson Street substation
- Installation of larger capacity cables between Pascal, Ferguson, Main and Keith Streets
- Sanson – Bulls 33kV reinforcement
- Feilding transformer upgrade
- Feilding to Sanson subtransmission upgrade
- Continued upgrade of Palmerston North 11kV cable
- Attendance at Central Districts Field Days
- Rural Games sponsorship
- Central Energy Trust Wildbase Recovery Centre sponsorship
- Customer focus group and ADR Roadshow
- Presentation to Palmerston North City Council
get in touch
We like to get feedback from our customers so please share your thoughts.